Recently, I borrow a book call “Can Do Writing”; It is talking about how to do business writing, which is also appropriate for my blogging; There are some points that I learnt from it and worth to share;
Hope this article could give you some tips when you don’t know how to start or organise your writing;
Know your Purpose and Audience
To make an article that people love; We need to have a clear purpose that may bring results;
For example, a product comparison report help us to choose the right product that fit our needs; These are the questions we need to think about when we are drafting our articles:
- Who will read this article?
- What they learnt from it and how the content help?
- Is the content too easy or difficult to understand for my audiences?
- Is the information too less or much to my audiences?
A “hello world” android program tutorial;
- Android developer, probably a beginner;
- What can be learnt?
- How to compile and run the program;
- Too easy or Too difficult
- Talking about “Activity” Lifecycle may be too difficult;
- Too less or Too much
- Should include how to setup the IDE, folder structure, how to compile and run;
- Other topics will be too much;
Make a Purpose statement
A purpose statement can help us to focus on what we are writing, preventing writing something too many idea which may distract your audience; Besides it guides us to organise our articles well so that our audiences can digest easier.
A purpose statement is assembled by the following parts:
- Type of your article?
- What your article does?
- What will your audience learn from?
- Who is your audience?
- What will your audience does with the information?
- Tips to draft content for technical blogger
- Create an Android Project using Android Studio for programmer not yet know about Android
- C++ std::vector Programming Reference for C++ Programmer
Points, the ideas and facts you want to present, are important in your articles; To make our articles different from others, our points should be different from others, otherwise, it doesn’t made any point to make the articles;
For examples, write an article about “Learning Java”; We can make different points by targeting the different audiences, such as “Learning Java for C programmer” and “Learning Java for Python programmer”; We may find these books in bookstores;
The authors of them are offering different points or say different perspective to their audiences;
Three techniques to select and organise the points:
- Write the points in short words and sentence
- Eliminate the points not match your purposes and audiences
- Order the points
The above is just about building the content of the articles, which is the thing I always missed before;
In the book, there are a lot of information about how the technique of writing such as using appropriate words, keep the content consistent, and more.
CAN DO Writing; author: Daniel Graham and Judith Graham;